Thursday, July 24, 2008

Drums Along the Rockies - 7.12.08

Click to play Drums Along the Rockies
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

One of the first things we took Daphne to do was to see a Drum & Bugle Corps Competition hosted by the Blue Knights -- Denver's own D&BC. How much more "American" can you get? It was held at Invesco Field, and since it isn't football season, this was one of the only ways to see the stadium while Daphne was with us. These are some hard core marching machines. Talk about precision! WOW! It sure did bring back memories for me of my days in the high school marching band. But I would not have been able to try out for these, as they only include brass and percussion instruments and color guard. I guess I could have learned another instrument or been in the guard, but I probably would not have been up to par having started so late. In addition, at least two of the corps at this competition (there were 9 total) are still all male, so they would have been out for me too! These kids work HARD all summer long, and end up sleeping in High School gyms and getting ready in the locker rooms. That's a rough summer, but 99.9% of them would not trade the experience for anything!

2 comments:

Lis said...

Hey Hol!
Those pics do bring back a lot of HS memories! I too have been to D&B shows before (I had a friend and her husband who spent a summer on tour). They are a little more precise then our HS!! I hope you are doing well! Missing you!

Rachel said...

Holli, you should call us with your plans for Dad's wedding. We would love to know when you are coming in. Although we will be in Iowa already, we will be staying with my parents for the weekend. Talk with you soon.